Tuesday, August 30, 2011

About Me


My name is Michael Guimond. I was born and raised in a small town just south of Seattle, Washington. I’m the youngest of three. Family is by far the most important thing in my life; which may seem strange considering I am three thousand miles away from any of them. 
I came to South Alabama for numerous reasons. One being the fact my tuition is about half the cost of the cheapest school back home. I also just wanted to get away from the town where I grew up because I felt like I wouldn’t have “grown up” on my own if I would have stayed close to home. The biggest reason I chose South over any other southern school was the fact that the Education Department here was rated much higher than neighboring schools. 
Just like there are many reasons why I came to South, there are plenty of different reasons why I am choosing to go into the teaching field. My mom is a teacher and I admire how she is always passionate and excited to go to work. Another reason is because the public school system back home is one of the best in the nation. I had so many great teachers and role models in my life, and I feel the only way I can repay them for helping me is to pay it forward.
Aside from having a passion for being the best role model I can be and my family, Sports are at the top of my list. I have played sports all my life. The sports that I am most involved in are basketball, football, and golf.

3 comments:

  1. I was born and raised in a small town as well. I could never be that far away from my family. I'm an only child and a huge family person. That must be very hard for you. I think its important to get away for a little while, and to feel like you're "suffocating" in your small town is annoying, but everyone has that time in their life where you HAVE to go.
    I came to South Alabama because of the education department, too of course. That's awesome that you play sports, I wish i was good at them. Haha. The only sport I do, is dance. I have danced all of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They must have rigged this because we are a lot alike. I truly enjoyed reading your blog. I too, had many role models and sports are the best way i feel I can relate to my future students, having played them myself. I played each of the sports you mentioned. Interesting note about how you value family. I'm sure you are eager to get done with school and get back home. I think you'll be great at what you do. Best of luck to you Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael. Unlike you, I wasn't raised in a small town. I'm actually from Mobile, Al. I said I never wanted to go to South Alabama just because it's so close to home, but I'm very glad I did. Like you I'm very close to my family and I enjoy their company as well. I also came to South Alabama because of the lower cost. Like you my mom encouraged me to be a teacher. She, my sister, and brother-in-law are all teachers in Mobile and they love their job. I enjoyed reading your blog. Good luck in EDM310!

    ReplyDelete